The Business Council for Africa and EY are hosting an event on the theme of ‘investing in SMEs in Africa’. Aimed principally at investors, the intent is to provide both networking opportunities and a lively discussion on the topic. In a departure from the standard ‘panel’ format, the main session of the event will be a debate. The proposed motion is “The challenges of investing in African SMEs are fast disappearing”, a topic chosen to allow a range of views on both the challenges to investors and the extent to which they are, in fact, lessening over time. There are a wide range of challenges to investors, some of which are increasing and some diminishing, you are welcome to attend and join in the discussion or just listen to the debate.
The debate will be chaired by Jon Shepard, who leads Enterprise Growth Services (EGS): a social enterprise within EY and those debating the motion are:
- Peter Stokes, Managing Partner of Concord Equity Group
- Laurie Spengler, CEO, Enclude
- Ritchie MacDonald, Head of Marketing Truestone Impact Investment Management (TIIM)
- Bolaji Sololuwe, Director, Strategy and Planning/Co-Founder, ETK Group
- 11:30 Registration and Refreshments
- 11:55 Chairman’s opening remarks
- 12:00 The Debate: The challenges of investing in African SMEs are fast disappearing?
- 13:15 Networking Lunch
- 14:30 Disperse