Sarkodie is a Ghanaian rapper and entrepreneur also known as Obidi Pon Bidi – well, he has too many names that have become household names. You cannot deny that Sarkodie has been instrumental in raising the bars for the Ghanaian music industry; a feat that has earned him numerous accolades. If you remember the Azonto dance and genre, then you will recognise his contributions towards its resurrection and globalisation.
- He went home with the Ghana Music Award for Artist of the Year award in 2010, and is recorded as the artist with the most nominations and most wins at the Ghana Music Awards.
- In 2011, he won the Best Hip-Hop Video, Best Editing Video, Best Collaborating Video at the 4syte TV Music Video Awards.
- The rapper was honored in 2012 with the Artiste of the Year, Most Popular Song of the year (U Go Kill Me), and Best Rapper of The Year awards at the Vodafone Ghana Music Awards event.
- Sarkodie owns Sarks Collection, clothing brand launched in 2013. The clothing line deals on wears and accessories for men, women, and children.
- Also in 2013, Sarkodie launched The Sarkodie Foundation tasked with the mission of supporting underprivileged children. He also mode donations of items worth thousands of Ghana cedis to the Royal Seed Home orphanage in Kasoa. In the same year, Lynx TV ranked him first on its list of the “Top 10 Ghanaian Rappers of All Time“.
- On December 25, 2014, The Sarkodie Foundation embarked on a Feed The Kids‘ campaign in Tema, where they provided thousands of kids with eight sacks of rice, yogurt and beverage.cans. They also gave away school bags, water bottle bats and other items.
- Sarkodie was nominated for The Future Africa Awards Prize in Entertainment in 2014. That same year, MTV Base ranked him sixth on its list of the Hottest African MCs.
- In 2015, he topped the list of Most Influential Musicians on Social Media. In 2016, he became the first Ghanaian musician to hit one million followers on Instagram. The rapper also won the Best Subscribed YouTube Channel Award in Ghana that same year. The Guardian, in 2015, listed him as one of its top five hip hop acts on the African continent.
- He is the first Ghanaian to win the BET Award for Best International Act: Africa category, in 2012. He was announced the first winner of BET’s Best International Flow act at the 2019 BET Hip Hop Awards.
- On October 30, 2019, he was appointed as an ambassador for the Year of Return campaign; the honour was conferred on him at the Creative Arts Industry Forum. And…
- His awards, nominations, discography, success story, contributions to the growth of the Ghana music industry are too much to contain one page. We just want to say:
Sarkodie is the future!!