Across the 54 Countries in Africa, these are the 5 top stories you may have missed:
Sudan: Death toll from West Darfur clashes rises to 56
Death toll from ethnic clashes in Geneina, the capital of West Darfur state, Sudan has risen to 56 – Africa News reports
A statement issued by the Central Committee of Sudanese Doctors on Tuesday, 6th April, revealed that 78 more people were injured, bringing the number of those wounded in the violence to 132.
Kenya: Cyber threats surge to 59%
A fresh report by the National Kenya Computer Incident Response Team or Coordination Centre in Kenya reveals that cyber threats has shoot up 59% due to the increased Internet usage during the pandemic – News Centra Africa reports
The report also reveals the number of active registered mobile money subscriptions at 32.5 million, active mobile money agents also rose to 264,390 – with 56.2 million attacks, cyber threats increased sharply to 59 per cent in the last quarter of 2020.
UN says 27 million in DR Congo facing acute hunger
Two United Nations agencies have disclosed that about a third of the entire population of the Democratic Republic of Congo is facing acute hunger and have also appealed for urgent additional funding to deal with the crisis – BBC Africa reports
The World Food Programme and the Food and Agriculture Organization, respectively, says it’s never been this bad with more than 27 million Congolese now urgently in need of food – the highest recorded number in any country in the world.
Egypt, Sudan and Ethiopia talks over Nile dam fail
The latest series of talks between Egypt, Ethiopia and Sudan over the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD) have ended with no progress made at all – Aljazeera Africa reports
Delegations from the respective countries met in an attempt to break a deadlock in negotiations over Ethiopia’s massive dam on river Nile. A project Addis Ababa says is key to its economic development and power generation.
Held in Kinshasa, DR Congo, the dialogue concluded Tuesday, 6th April, without a deal being reached, according to a communique released after they finished.
Efforts to return Benin Bronze to Africa remains a challenge
The pledge to return several Benin Bronzes from three Western institutions to the former Kingdom of Benin in Nigeria was celebrated by many. But returning the artifacts looted by British soldiers 125 years ago will continue to be a challenge – All Africa reports
Earlier, a university in Scotland and some museums in Germany and Britain pledged to repatriate the Benin Bronzes they own.
The restitution is symbolic to Timothy Awoyemi, British-born Nigerian who helped repatriate two other Benin Bronzes in 2014 from a private collector whose grandfather had been part of the 19th century looting.