Naseeb is popularly known by stage name Diamond Platnumz (or simply Diamond). He is a Bongo Flava recording artist and singer from Tanzania who has recorded over 100 songs and is best known for his hit song “Number One” – performed at the Big Brother Africa season 7 eviction show in May 2012.
Diamond is considered influential among his fans, and he is said to be the most loved and decorated Tanzanian artist at the moment. He is the highest paid artist in East Africa earning at least two million shillings per weekend. He was also believed to be the highest selling Tanzanian artist of ringtones by mobile phone companies in 2013, as well as being among the artists earning the highest income in the African Great Lakes region’s music industry.
We list ten ways Naseeb inspires:
- Over the last 10 years, the award-winning musician has popularised “bongo flava” – a uniquely Tanzanian offering: romantic melodies with an urban beat influenced by traditional taarab music from the East African coast.
- Diamond Platnumz founded Wasafi Classic Baby (widely referred by its short form, “WCB“) also sometimes referred to as WCB Wasafi) – a Tanzanian-based record label founded by musician.
- In 2010, he was nominated as the best new act at the MTV Africa Music Awards and also got 2 nominations at this year’s Edition.
- He holds a record for winning 3 awards at the 2010 Tanzania music awards.
- He is believed to be the highest selling Tanzanian artist of ringtones by mobile phone companies in 2013 as well as being among the artists earning the highest income in the African Great Lakes region’s music industry.
- In 2014, Diamond Platnumz set a new record at the Tanzania Music Awards winning 7 awards, including Best Male Writer, Best Male Artist, Best Song Writer, and Best Male Entertainer of the Year, among others.
- The 30-year-old was nominated for The Future Africa Awards Prize in Entertainment in 2014. He went home with the award.
- Diamond Platnumz has been actively involved in developmental projects and has campaigned for Coke Studio, Do Agric ONE Campaign, No More Malaria, African Rising and also currently works with NSSF Tanzania. Diamond was recommended by The President of Tanzania for his impact.
- Staying relevant, Diamond Platnumz was unveiled as the new Brand Ambassador of Coral Paints On March 4, 2020.
- He is the first sub-Saharan African singer to get one billion views on his YouTube channel – after sharing at least 600 videos that entail music, behind the scenes, and tour performances.
Naseeb Abdul Juma is the future!